Picture
Lionel Stokes

December 17, 1939 - April 17, 2014

Lionel completed his life's journey on April 17.

He was born December 17, 1939 – the youngest of ten children born to Joseph and Minnie Stokes of High Prairie, Alberta. It was here Lionel first took an interest in curling, competing in the 1959 Alberta high school championships that developed into a lifelong passion for the sport. Lionel continued curling after moving north, winning the Yukon championship numerous times. At the 1975 Brier in Fredericton, NB Lionel and his mates finished the competition tied for second place – no playoffs in those days! Their record two years later at the 1977 Brier in Montreal, PQ was not quite as outstanding however Lionel was named All-Star Second. Lionel was also honoured to be a fifth for the Chuck Haines rink at the 1981 and 1991 Briers. In 1982 Lionel & his wife Debra represented the Territories at the Seagram Mixed curling championships in Timmons, Ont. Lifelong friendships were forged along the way as Lionel’s calm and gentle demeanour endeared him to everyone he met.

Lionel brought a sense of loyalty, strong values, sound ethics and integrity to his long career in business. Lionel and the Edgewater were synonymous. He started pouring draft in the pub in 1969 and by 1982 was sole owner of the hotel. Most days he could be seen either at the front desk, in the lounge or the Cellar Dining Room. Lionel was respected and cherished by all those who worked for him during his 40 years at the “Edge.” Suffice it to say that after Lionel sold the business in 2009, the “Edge” was never the same.

Loving and wise, he quietly led his family, teaching them and many others by example. Lionel is survived by his wife Debra, sons Brent (Kathy and Joseph), Brad (Heidi, Kyla and Luke) and daughter Sue (Chris, Brendan and Brody). Also mourning his loss are his brothers Donald (Kathleen) of Rancho Santa Fe, California, Jim (Anna) of High Prairie AB, Wally (Betty) of Grande Prairie AB, Jack of Kinuso AB, and sisters Dora Szusko of Edmonton AB, and June (Nori) Nishio of Nanaimo, BC as well as extended family in the UK and Australia.

Our deepest thanks to Dr. Owen Avrill, Dr. Allison O’Hearn, Dr. Danusia Kanachowski, the entire medical ward and home care team involved for the attentive and compassionate care shown Lionel and his family.

All the special people in Lionel’s life are too numerous to mention - and you know who you are - know that he leaves you with a smile and a glass of wine that is more than half full – so enjoy the memories and have “just the one."

In accordance with Lionel’s wishes there will be a private family burial. In lieu of flowers Lionel’s family invite you to consider a donation in his memory to a charity of your choice.

Anyone wishing to offer a condolence or share a memory are invited to do so at www.heritagenorth.ca on the obituary page. Also cards can be mailed to Heritage North Funeral Home 412 Cook Street, Whitehorse, Y.T. Y1A 2R1 and they will be forwarded to the family.

Comments

L&v ,kirk
04/23/2014 2:01pm

Word are not enough to express our feelings,we will miss the big guy with a giants smile, from half pint and Viv,
Merseyside uk

Debra
04/24/2014 7:46am

Know that you made our three trips to the UK so special. Lionel greatly appreciated your assistance with uncovering long lost family history. We've always considered you a part of our UK family - do keep in touch.

Nicole and Dave Jack
04/23/2014 7:22pm

Both Dave and I are sorry to hear of Lionel's passing. Lionel was the best employer you could have asked for in life, The Edgerwater will always be a big part of our lives due to the Stokes Family. You will never be forgot. Nicole and Dave Jack.

Rose
04/23/2014 7:32pm

Thoughts & Prayers are with you Deb, big hug.
So sorry to hear of Lionel's passing.

Noel and Robyn Stokes
04/23/2014 8:04pm

Noel and I in Australia are proud to have called this loving gentle man our relative. We will have a glass of red with you on Friday at 3pm but Noel says "sorry buddy but I can't count." You will be forever in our hearts. Debra dear, you know where we are. Rest in Peace dear Lionel.

Walter Wallingham
04/23/2014 10:07pm

I was very saddened to hear of Lionel's passing. He was a true gentleman on the curling ice, and off. He was a great ambassador for the Yukon when he represented at the Brier, and a fierce competitor. I always looked up to him. My condolences to Debra and family.

Nancy and David Huston
04/24/2014 11:00am

It is with great sadness we send this note to Debbie and all the Stokes family members. Lionel was a loving husband, and father with a quiet and sincere approach to all. Such a gentleman, and a gentle-man. We have all been blessed by knowing him. He is now at peace. Love Nancy Lou and David Huston

Colin MacPherson
04/25/2014 1:09pm

Growing up in Whitehorse and being a close friend of the Stokes family I am very sad to hear about Lionel. I must admit he did influence how I work and carry myself to this day. A good person who will be missed by many.

Terry DeForrest
04/26/2014 11:47am

My deepest condolence to Debra, Brent, Brad and Suzanne on passing of Lionel. Terry DeForrest

Larry and Moira McKay
04/26/2014 3:01pm

So sad to hear of Lionels passing. What a great men he was. Our deepest condolances to Debra, Brent, Brad, Suzanne and all their families. We share iny our sorrow.

Marla Ackerman
04/27/2014 12:22pm

May the loss we feel be healed instantly by all we gained by his presence!
~Warm hugs to each~ <3

Colleen and Howie Firth
04/28/2014 8:41am

Brent, Brad and Sue, to you and your families, we are so sorry for the loss of your father. It was a privilege to work for and with the 3 Stokes men at the "Edge". Your Dad was a very good kind man and will be missed. Take comfort in knowing he is at peace.

Debbie,
We are very sorry for your loss.

Cindy Beasley
04/28/2014 4:26pm

Deb, Brent, Brad, Sue and your families. So sad to hear of Lionel's passing, but so glad he had a very close family to be with him all along the way ! He was a good man and I appreciate the impact he had on my future for so many years. Was glad to know him and spend the time with him and will always think of Lionel as the good guy he was ! He will be sadly missed by you all but the memories are always with you. Cindy

Val Benoit
05/02/2014 8:32pm

Lionel was a wonderful man, a kind and caring boss who was always there for his staff. I spent a great decade at the Edge. Lionel, Deb, Brent and Sue were like my family. Very sad to hear the news. He will be sadly missed by many. My condolences to the Stokes family from Val in Ontario.

Gerry and Pat Berube
05/07/2014 2:38pm

Our sincere condolences to all the Stokes family on
the passing of Lionel.

Lee-ann Harder
05/08/2014 8:43pm

Dear Deb, Brad, Brent and Sue,
Always have fond memories of working with all of you and with Lionel. He was a kind and caring boss who made it feel like one big family for everyone who worked there.
Warm and kind thoughts to all of you,
Lee-ann

Cathy Angel
05/20/2014 9:27am

Dear Debbie and all the family
I am sorry for the loss of your beloved Lionel. He was one of the kindest man I have ever met. I am glad I had the privilege of knowing him and spending some fun times with you Deb, and Lionel over these many years in Whitehorse. Deb I know you will miss him forever, and I'm sorry for your loss. Take good care. Thinking of you all with love , Sincerely, Cathy Angel (nee Fisher)

Kathy and Gary Chapman
06/09/2014 7:18am

Dear Debbie, it was with great sadness that Gary and I heard of Lionel's passing just yesterday. My heart goes out to you Deb, for I know how much you meant to each other. I have no contact information for you but would love to hear from you...........Love Kathy and Gary

Albert Omotani
07/31/2014 4:32pm

Debra, Brent, Brad and Sue; just learned about Lionel's passing today. It is with sadness and a great appreciation for the man; your husband and father, who taught me so much about honor and life skills. Dale Twa, informed me about Lionel's passing. The Lord seems to know who the best are for his kingdom. Lionel was one of the finest, I'll always remember him. Albert Omotani